Wednesday, February 23, 2011

"Cartoon Modern"





So, I've been seeing and hearing quite a bit about a style of illustration referred to as "cartoon modern". Some artists that are currently working in this "cartoon modern" style are Ward Jenkins, Kevin Cross, Chris Eliopoulos, and others. Anyways, I totally love the stuff and wanted to give it a try.
I was drawing some animals and drew this little hamster for some reason. I liked the drawing, so I drew some more and more hamsters. Turns out that hamsters are super fun to draw. Also, rendering him in this "cartoon modern" style is was faster and easier than my current mode of illustrating.
Where's this all going? The top image is the cover of the story of this hamster named Jellybean. The bottom image are some illustrations of Jellybean doing stuff.
I think that this is going to be my next project and submit it straight to The Illustrated Section for digital download. This will be one story that for the moment does not have any plans to be put in print, unless a publisher wants to do it. *wink wink nudge nudge*
I haven't actually written the story yet and am still in the stages of coming up with the plot and such, but the cover is done and I've gotten used to drawing this cute little dude.

*EDIT* I've added this Lab Rat character to the mix. The story is developing now. I'll give you a hint: It involves a lab rat.

Anyways, stay tuned for this little guy and. . . Enjoy.

5 comments:

Kevin Cross said...

I'm glad to see you got bitten by the cartoon modern bug! Great designs here.

sam said...

Mark this little guy is just brilliant! Go for it buddy! I am going to love to watch this come to life.

Denver Wagner said...

Awesome. Looks like a ton of fun. Dude, you know I love your style...It's a pleasure to watch your stuff come to life.

Mark Harmon said...

Thanks guys. I just hope that my writing and storytelling will pull it through.

Lee Wiley said...

I'm lookin' forward to this Bro! This is a very clean and fun style, and meshes well with your already established style!